Dudes, I am going a little crazy.
On Thursday I mopped up 4 pee-pees (2x on the floor & 2x on the sofa - one of which he swooshed around with his hand after finishing. Leather sofas, thankfully) and carefully removed a hunk of turd from my 2 year olds pants. It is not going well.
I had a glimmer of hope at the beginning of the week - every 'go' was in the potty - he was communicating well, I had started to relax a little bit into it and decided to reign back the incessant 'do you need to go pee-pee?' questioning. I thought we were days away from the day when it was supposed to just 'click'. But alas. This potty game feels like one pee forward, two turds back.
Things I'm unsure about:
- Letting him sit prolonged on the potty when he's watching something or eating. Inevitably, he needs to go sometimes in the middle of watching his funnies or during breakfast. We've been putting him straight on the potty when he says he needs to go but he seems to hang around a bit - and we've let him. Should I be taking him straight off once he's finished?
- Going out too much during the day. I can't hack this prison sentence method that people allude to when they talk about how they did it. 'You need to take a week and just stay in the house'. I'm sorry, WHAT? Have you met a 2 year old? We have generally tried to only go out once during the day since we've been actively potty training. For those times, he has a nappy on. Am I fooling myself to think this isn't going to be a set-back? Should I just take the plunge (toilet humour, obvs) and stick a pair of pants on him, bring lots of spare clothes and do it? Is there an alternative?
- Giving him too much to drink before going out/nap-time/bed. Is it best to have him drink more during the times we are home and near the potty? Is this me ridiculously over-thinking it?
Things I am doing:
- Not showing frustration when he misses - explaining the jist of the way it works again. Giving him a go on it, even if he says he's already done it (there's usually more).
- Not always rewarding with food. We do once in a while, but I figure the reward/bribery stuff can't be a long-term vibe in our house so I don't want to start heavy on it now...
- Giving praise when he does it (there may or may not be a made-up song and dance to accompany said praise).
So I call upon you, oh mothers that have gone before. I need some top tips, some gentle guidance and feedback on my queries above.
I've just sent him off with Dave for an hour to play at the park with pants AND a nappy on. I'm telling you - I'm winging this BIG time.
But how cute are two-year-old bums in tightie whities?