Parenting Ups & Downs
One of my favourite bloggers, Jen does a weekly parenting ups and downs blog. It is SO refreshing to hear the reality of other mothers’ experiences.
I think it’s easy to be behind a laptop, documenting all the happy/stylish/super rad things that happen in your life and family, but it’s way harder to be that little bit more honest about stuff. To admit defeat and exhaustion.
I love being Levi’s mum. He is the best little guy and Dave and I are constantly in awe (an often daunting awe, mind you) that we get to keep him, love him, teach him and nurture him. Look at that wee face!
So, in the spirit of honesty, here are my parenting ups and downs this week.
- He is on the move! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more determined baby. He literally sees something now, even if it is across the room, and he scrambles, army crawl style to get it. It’s so lovely to watch him discover his surroundings in this way, and have a little independence. (I anticipate this up will gradually fall into the down category as I run around trying to keep him from smacking his head off stuff or climbing up and down stuff, but for now watching him figure out his new-found freedom is sweet!)
- We bought him a big boy front-facing car seat! The look of confusion and then pride on his wee face when he sat in it for the first time was super cute. I also love that I can now put my seat back a bit on the passenger side and my knees aren’t round my chin for long drives!
- New sounds! He is starting to really get his babble on. Last Sunday morning we were lying in bed (all three of us - it’s actually my favourite time of the day) and he said “Dada” for the first time (I’m pretty sure it was a fluke, but it was sweet all the same). I asked him “Aw, Levi, what’s your Dada called?” to which he replied “Barry”. We had a right giggle at that one.
- The hours between 5pm - 7pm are ridiculously tiring. Levi seems to need constant attention and carrying around. Everything just needs to be put on hold, which means I either need to be SUPER organised for us to have dinner ready during the day, or we don’t eat until after bedtime. Zzzzzz
- DUMMYS! I have a love/hate relationship with these blessed things. During the day, it really soothes him to have his when I sense his gums are hurting or he is cranky, but the twice or three times a night waking for the dummy thing is getting OLD.
- Daytime naps. This kid fights his sleep good and proper. Some days he will do a good hour but most days its a 45 minute nap both morning and afternoon, which is obviously not enough for him because by 6pm he is proper beside himself with tiredness! We’ve tried everything to help him sleep more during the day or get him back over to sleep when he wakens too early from a nap but he is not having any of it!
Most of those downs seem to be sleep related in some shape or form - which I can only assume is the biggest struggle that parents face. I try not to let it (or the lack of it) dominate my attitude, but I think it’s pretty normal to crave the rest you need to be able to function at a level-headed pace, right? I have to admit, I could probably do my bit and go to bed at a decent hour when Levi is sleeping soundly, but I’m a bit of a masochist that way.
Anyway, I’d love to hear some of your ups and downs from parenting this week!* Feel free to leave a comment, fb, tweet etc!
*I don’t want this to become a moan-fest either (relating/offloading, yes - full-on wallowing, no), so make sure for every ‘down’ you include a good ‘up’!